Grip problems complicate opening day in Brno
Not an easy start to the weekend at the Automotodrom Brno for the LIQUI MOLY Intact GP riders Marcel Schrötter and Tom Lüthi, who finished day one in places 12 and 20 respectively.
The first practice day for the Czech Grand Prix turned out to be a wonderful summer day with an almost pleasant 30° Celsius compared to the extreme heat of Jerez from two weeks ago.
On Friday, just ten days after his arm surgery, Marcel Schrötter was back on his Intact GP Kalex. Still slightly affected by the swelling, he made it to fifth place in the first practice session with a time of 2,03,185 and ended the day in twelfth place in the overall standings, seven-tenths behind Sam Lowes, who was fastest on day one. On the 5.4-kilometer long track, which currently doesn't offer the best grip, the 27-year-old's top priority is to find a better feeling while turning and for the front wheel.
Tom Lüthi's hopes of being able to continue the upward trend of Jerez II were unfortunately not fulfilled on day one in Brno. So far, his Jerez's performance, which was still going in the right direction, did not continue this way in the Czech Republic. Just like his team-mate and like most of the other riders, the Swiss couldn't find any grip on the Czech track. He too was lacking front wheel feeling, which didn't give him enough trust to push his limits. Although he improved by more than two tenths in the afternoon, his time of 2'03.592 was still more than a second behind the leader. The experienced racer is of course not satisfied with his 20th place and will try to find the decisive solution with his crew as quickly as possible.
Grand Prix České republiky
1. Sam LOWES / GBR / KALEX - 2'02.480
2. Joe ROBERTS / USA / KALEX - 2'02.816 (+0.336)
3. Tetsuta NAGASHIMA / JPN / KALEX - 2'02.889 (+0.409)
5. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 2'03.185 (+0.705)
19. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 2'03.829 (+1.349)
1. Enea BASTIANINI / ITA / KALEX - 2'02.689
2. Sam LOWES / GBR / KALEX - 2'02.722 (+0.033)
3. Luca MARINI / ITA / KALEX - 2'02.799 (+0.110)
11. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 2'03.211 (+0.522)
18. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 2'03.592 (+0.903)